Fort Myers Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycles can be a fun and economical alternative to driving a passenger car. They are smaller, more fuel-efficient, easier to maneuver through traffic, and are enjoyable to ride. Unfortunately, they are also significantly more dangerous than passenger cars. Motorcycle riders are 28 times more likely to suffer from a fatal accident than passenger car drivers. Motorcycles lack any of the protection afforded by cars and are directly exposed to any impact, be it from another vehicle, the road, or another object or hazard. Motorcycle riding requires split-second decision-making, and any failure can be dangerous and even fatal for the rider, passengers, and other drivers on the road.
At The Law Offices of Marc L. Shapiro, P.A., our dedicated and talented Fort Myers motorcycle accident attorneys have decades of experience representing motorcyclists injured in accidents across the State of Florida and helping their families recover damages after a motorcycle rider is killed. We represent injured bikers as well as other motorists who are caught up in an accident involving a motorcycle on a Florida roadway. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash in Southern or Central Florida, our motorcycle crash legal team is ready to help you recover for any injuries you have suffered.
What Causes a Florida Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycle riders are susceptible to the same flaws that can lead any other driver to be involved in a traffic accident on Florida roadways. Motorcycles are especially prone to certain types of accidents and causes, including:
- Inattentive Drivers. Motorcyclists are less visible than auto drivers on the road. Drivers must be on the lookout for riders passing on either side or simply riding in their blind spots. Motorcyclists are also known to engage in maneuvers such as lane-splitting, which can take an inattentive driver unaware.
- Intoxicated Riders or Drivers. Drunk and drugged driving is incredibly common in Florida, and, unfortunately, motorcycle riders are no exception. Bikers may be hit by drunk drivers or may cause an accident when riding while intoxicated themselves.
- Untrained and inexperienced riders. Riding a motorcycle is more complicated and requires more split-second decision-making than driving a passenger car. Many accidents are caused by inexperienced riders making mistakes that years of riding experience could have prevented.
- Distracted driving or riding. Despite the dangers, many people continue to text and email on their phones while on the road. As surprising as it may seem, even motorcyclists are guilty of riding while distracted. Taking your attention off the road leads to accidents.
- Road hazards. Motorcyclists are directly exposed to any hazard that appears on the road, whether it is a felled tree, a wild animal, a piece of construction equipment, materials that fell off the back of a truck, large rocks, or inclement weather or road conditions such as ice, snow, rain, or fog. Motorcycle riders must make split-second decisions to account for and avoid any such hazards, and any failure by the biker or another driver on the road can lead to catastrophic injury.
- Poor communication. Bikers often travel in groups. Groups of motorcyclists must keep communication between them clear in order to know when to stop, turn, or make other moves. They may move into each other’s lanes of travel when they fail to communicate, injuring the bikers and potentially bringing a passenger car driver into the mix as well.
- Risky and aggressive riding maneuvers. Motorcyclists often try to get around traffic in ways that passenger cars simply cannot; that is one of the draws of motorcycles. Unfortunately, aggressive or dangerous maneuvers such as lane-splitting or “white-lining” can easily cause an accident if any other driver fails to see the biker or if the biker makes even the slightest mistake while making the move.
Call For Help After a Fort Myers Motorcycle Accident Crash
If you or a loved one has been hurt or killed in a motorcycle accident in Fort Myers, Orlando, or throughout Florida, reach out to a dedicated Fort Myers motorcycle accident lawyer for advice and representation. Contact the compassionate and effective Florida motorcycle crash legal team at The Law Offices of Marc L. Shapiro, P.A., at 239-649-8050 today for a free consultation.