When will the trial for my personal injury claim case take place?
Despite how common it is for a client to ask this question and our acknowledgement of the fact that knowing the answer to this is very important to you, this question is impossible to answer because there are so many factors, which may have an impact on when your case will actually be scheduled for trial.
Such factors include:
- The number of cases waiting for trial in your county or jurisdiction.
- The number of judges available to hear trials in your jurisdiction.
- Whether or not all discovery, such as interrogatories and depositions, have been completed by both sides.
- The type of trial calendar set up in your jurisdiction. (For example –do criminal trials have priority? Is there a so-called “trailing docket”?)
- Whether or not the lawyers in the case have other trials pending in other jurisdictions.
- Other possible factors.
Your lawyer will be able to tell you approximately when your case will be reached for trial. In some jurisdictions it takes a year or less to get to trial after the suit has been filed. Other jurisdictions such as some federal courts can take several years.