Fort Myers Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Every day, thousands of pedestrians are hit by careless drivers, bikers, and cyclists across the country and on Florida roads. Traffic accidents involving pedestrians are especially likely to involve serious injury or worse, given that pedestrians lack the protections other drivers are afforded. If a driver’s failure to take appropriate precautions and drive safely has caused you serious injury, it is vital that you reach out to a knowledgeable pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible to begin building your case for recovery.
If you or a loved one has been hurt or killed by a negligent driver, you may be entitled to compensation. The negligent driver who hit you can and should be held liable for your lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, medical expenses, disability, and any other costs and damages you have suffered as a result of your pedestrian accident. The Fort Myers pedestrian accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Marc L. Shapiro, P.A., P.A., have helped many of our clients recover monetary damages after being hit by a negligent or reckless driver on a Florida roadway.
Florida is One of the Most Dangerous States for Pedestrians
Florida has the dubious honor of being the deadliest state in the country for pedestrians. According to reports from safety officials, nine of the 20 deadliest cities for pedestrians are in Florida. Orlando is the most dangerous city in the country for pedestrians. Between 2008 and 2017, the number of annual pedestrian deaths countrywide increased by 35.7 percent, and a total of 49,340 pedestrians were killed over that time. Out of that total, 5,433 of those pedestrians were killed in Florida. Florida’s rate of pedestrian death is almost as alarming as the raw numbers: Florida sees 2.73 pedestrian deaths per 100,000 people, nearly twice the average annual deaths nationwide of 1.55 pedestrian fatalities per 100,000 people.
Florida is a dangerous state for pedestrians, and if your loved one has been the victim of a dangerous driver, you and your family have the right to hold that driver accountable. The dedicated pedestrian accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Marc L. Shapiro, P.A. are here to help.
Types of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents are caused by many of the same factors that lead to other traffic accidents–buzzed drivers, drowsy drivers, distracted drivers, etc.–but there are also certain types of accidents that are more likely to involve a pedestrian. The seasoned Florida pedestrian accident attorneys at The Law Offices of Marc L. Shapiro, P.A. help injured pedestrian victims recover after all types of pedestrian accidents, including the following:
- Passing accidents. Drivers who pass a bus or other stopped vehicle in a hurry without taking adequate care may fail to see a pedestrian crossing the street in front of them.
- Dart-out accidents. Accidents can occur when a pedestrian unexpectedly enters the street. Sometimes, this happens because a pedestrian walks into the street without checking or without proper protection from a traffic signal. This can also occur, however, when a pedestrian enters a crosswalk with appropriate legal protection, but a driver’s view is obstructed.
- Turning and merging accidents. Pedestrian accidents often occur when a driver is entirely focused on turning or merging into traffic and fails to look for pedestrians or cyclists who might be nearby.
- Back-up accidents. Drivers who fail to properly check their mirrors when backing out of a driveway or parking space are liable to hit a pedestrian walking behind them.
- Vendor and commercial vehicle accidents. Drivers must take extra care to avoid pedestrians when they try to pass a vendor such as a taco truck, ice cream truck, or other food truck, or when the stopped vehicle is a passenger bus.
Call For Help After a Fort Myers Pedestrian Accident
You have the right to feel safe when you walk along a Florida roadway. If a negligent or reckless driver has hit you or a loved one in Fort Myers, Orlando, or throughout Florida, reach out to a seasoned Fort Myers pedestrian injury lawyer for advice and representation. Contact the compassionate and effective Florida pedestrian accident legal team at The Law Offices of Marc L. Shapiro, P.A., at 239-649-8050 today for a free consultation, and learn whether you may be entitled to compensation for your Florida pedestrian injuries.